Hello friends. It’s so great to see you ’cause life is better when we feed off each others’ energy and good vibes. Feed off? Hmmm, sounds vampire-y. Well, Happy Halloween too! And remember, never settle for average candy – only eat what you absolutely love, when you really want it (not just when it’s around). You’re better than average, waxy candy. Now, an amazing piece of dark chocolate on the other hand… Seriously, that stuff blows my mind sometimes.
This week’s optional Fit Dish topic is Halloween inspired. Jill and I decided to discuss our Workout Alter Ego’s – ya know, similar to being in costume or being a different character. Feelin’ it? #heckyes
What person, animal or thing do you want to be like during your workout?! Having a symbol or person to think about when you need to dial-things-in, can dramatically increase your focus, and can be powerful during your whole day, not just exercise time.
I have competing alter egos. I call them THE JAGUAR and THE MOUSE.
Fitness has helped me bring out The Jaguar, but The Mouse is still there, lurking in its little hidy hole. Here’s what I mean.
My MOUSE side
One side of me is extremely passive and complacent. That side of me I consider mouse-like: content to play small, go-with-the-flow, and sometimes be so passive, that I mentally play the victim and let everyone or everything else win over my goals.
The other side of me is fierce, strategic and strong. I am independent, take charge, and take responsibility for gettin’ it doooone. I attack life. I am choosy about what I am willing to trade my time and effort – aka MY LIFE – for. Victim? Heck no. I create and design my life. The only way I am victim, is when I let someone else make me one.
Fitness and being proactive, brings out The Jaguar. Being stagnant and lazy brings out The Mouse.
Using the idea of these animal alter-egos/avatars, allows me to better recognize which one is out to play. Obviously, I want to bring The Jaguar out much more often, but The Mouse can get a lil sneaky sneaky, if I’m off my game.
We are all multi-dimensional, and various characteristics of ourselves can be brought to the forefront, or they can be repressed. I think it’s vitally important, if we are to live our best lives, that we consciously decide who we want to be, and which characteristics we want to truly embody, otherwise, we tend to live at the whim of our emotions.
A while back, I made an acronym for the characteristics I want to be. It reads, ‘FED-UH,’ which conveniently sounds like: FETA. Oooh, get in my kale salad. Gotta love a solid mnemonic device.
- F – focused (highly present in the moment)
- E – energized (I take care of my body to maintain my high energy)
- D – determined (I focus on solutions, not problems)
- U – uplifting (I help others feel good about themselves, and inspire them to live greatly)
- H – high performing (if I am going to do something, I am going to rock it)
In Brendon Burchard’s, ‘6 Questions to High Performance,’ his second question is in regards to psychology. He asks us to ask ourselves frequently,
‘Am I living my truth?’ Meaning, am I living in line with my highest self? Who do I truly want to be, and am I living in congruence with that?
Like I said, we are multi-dimensional. None of us are like just one animal or thing – we are many things. BUT, we must consciously choose to bring out our best and highest qualities, and not settle for less.
In my case, sometimes playing The Mouse, is much more comfortable. It’s the easy route – it requires little energy and guts. But, is that ‘living my truth?’ Is that choosing to be my highest self? No. I am not saying I have to be an active, fierce jaguar all the time (they sleep and rest too), but being a timid and passive mouse would be me giving into the qualities I don’t choose to be. I CHOOSE THE JAGUAR.
- What characteristics do you want to embody?
- What animal, thing or even person, exemplifies those to you?
- Would you rather use an image or an acronym for a symbol?
USING YOUR POWER SYMBOL
After answering those questions, you can develop a your power symbol – whether that’s an animal, thing, person (initials), characteristics in an acronym etc. I LOVE symbols – it’s the English major in me. They are personal and secret. ‘
For example, no one is going to know why you have FEDUH written on your notebook or, why you have jaguars on everything, or better yet, why you have an, ‘I am not a mouse,’ as a quote in your house. Bahaha, it’s on my vision board. But, whatever your symbol, that’s your bidness and theys bees cluesless.
- Draw it on your notebooks
- Get some charms to put on your jewelry (they sell practically anything in a charm. And, say no to the cupcake and donut charms. Talk about asking for cravings.)
- Put it on your vision board
- Make some art
- Get a keychain
- Digital wallpaper
THE BIG TAKEAWAY
Who you decide you want to be affects all your decisions. Although this is a fun post that can be viewed as a little silly, it has tremendous power to affect your daily life, your mindset, and your actions.
You must have clarity about who you want to be. The more clear you can be on your goals, the faster and more likely you will reach them. Deciding on a symbol, or alter-ego for yourself, brings clarity. And, if you surround yourself with it, you set yourself up to make changes and be consistent. Habits take time to make, and a symbol is a habit trigger. Purrrrfect.
Questions For The Day?
- Do you compare yourself to any animals?
- What characteristics do you want to embody?
- How to you live up to your higher qualities?
- Do you have a power symbol?
SHARE THE #FITFAMLOVE
Last week, we talked about growing the fitfam by spreading the word, and using our amazing Fit Dish community to help others and each other. Ladies, you make Tuesdays the bomb, and too many people are missing out. Here are some ways to continue the fun and inspiration this week. Make sure you blatantly share your social media handles so we can be sure to follow each other. : )
FUN WAYS TO SHARE:
- Instagram: Share an image from your Fit Dish post. Tag it #thefitdish, and tag some friends!
- Instagram: What’s your workout alter ego or power symbol? Post it, hashtag it, and tag more friends to share theirs.
- When you link-up, TWEET-it-up!
- Most Fit Dishers offer pin-able images. Make sure you pin the ones you want to return to. I have many Fit Dish recipes on my boards.
Social Media for The Fit Switch
- Instagram: @thefitswitch
- Twitter: @thefitswitch
- Facebook: The Fit Switch
- Pinterest: The Fit Switch (all images are pin-able. Just hover to the center of the photo, and click)