Hi there! Hope things are going well in your neck of the woods. Today, we’re talkin’ smoothies, which is quiet refreshing, so get cozy, and you’ll walk away with a smoothie recipe, some time-saving smoothie tips, and even some smoothie banter. Yessssss.
First off, can we agree that the word, smoothie, is pretty dorky? Ah mean, it’s smooth…..ie. But, it’s also kind of adorable at the same time.
Secondly, smoothies are the ultimate healthy fast food. There ain’t no drive through faster than just makin’ a smoothie. Plus, you don’t have to go through the awkwardness of talking into that speaker, wondering how well their camera is positioned to see you, and if they notice you squinting at the board, or if they’re laughing about how loudly you’re yelling. #awkward
Alright, onto logistics.
BERRY BASIL SMOOTHIE
It was time to mix things up, and thank goodness. This combo is ultimately refreshing, and adds a fun twist and chef-worthy ingredient combo upgrade to the traditional ‘Berry Smoothie.’ The basil flavor is subtle, but just enough to excite the taste-buds, and keep the frequent smoothies, fresh. Changing up your recipes helps you feel more satisfied, but little tweaks are all you need.
And, last week’s heavenly trip to Trader Joe’s left me walking away with a huge, happy basil plant, as Instagram will tell. P.S. Their new reusable grocery bag (on the right of the cart) is the best $4 investment – it’s sturdy with the perfect amount of stiffness, cute, and the perfect width for picnics.
For my berries, I used a frozen berry medley – raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries – but really, any berry will work. I am personally excited to try a blueberry and basil combo next time.
- ½-3/4 cup berries of choice (fresh or frozen) Leave some out for a topping if desired.
- ½ cup ice
- ½ frozen banana
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond)
- 3 big basil leaves
- unsweetened coconut flakes (optional garnish for texture, and healthy fat boost)
- Place all ingredients in a blender, minus the optional coconut flakes. While it's getting smooth, put away the remaining smoothie ingredients. Pour in a cup or bowl, sprinkle with coconut flakes, and enjoy.
TIME-SAVING SMOOTHIE TIPS
- Designate a ‘smoothie of the week.’ This will make the overall prep faster, and by the end of the week you’ll have a sweet smoothie recipe down pat, like a lil smoothie barista. Wham bam. Smooth ; )
- Never just watch your smoothie get smooth – go clean something. It doesn’t need you to watch it, and it leads to you getting impatient, and ending up with a chunk or two of banana because the smoothie wasn’t quite done. Instead, put away your ingredients while your smoothie gets ultimately creamy.
- Pour your smoothie into a jar or glass, then wash the blender immediately, and leave it out to dry. This will keep your sink clear, instead of taking up half the sink real estate, and the fastest time to clean anything that’s wet, is before it gets dry. So, save yourself some scrubbin’ and take 15 seconds to rinse and wash now. You’ll thank yourself at dish duty time.
- Freeze your bananas whole, but unpeeled of course. I used to chop my bananas up, lie them on a tray, freeze them, then pull up all the individual pieces, and put them in a bag. Nah! Unpeel, place in the freezer, then place in a bag. It saves so much time. Just give the ‘nana a few chops before smoothie time and you’re good.
Also, don’t miss the giveaway.Today is the last day to enter (closes at midnight). Head over HERE, and rack up some points so you can win a big jar of Wild Friends Nut Butter, shipped right to your doorstep. I can’t say enough great things about it.
- Straw or spoon? Have you tried making a smoothie bowl yet? Just pour your smoothie in a bowl, add some toppings, and it’s practically dessert.
- What fun flavor combos are your favorites for smoothies?
- Do you feel awkward at the drive through?
- Do you have any time-saving smoothie tips?
- Does your smoothie eating always go by too fast, or is that just me?
Much love, Jessica Joy
Big hugs and thanks to The Fit Dish family – you make Tuesdays a joy. Jill and I truly appreciate the amazing community that The Fit Dish has become. We love getting to know you and learning from you, every week. Cheers to #fitfamlove.